Humanity Lost (work in progress)


Humanity Lost work in progress 2015
Photograph Huw Greenhough
Working in the gallery. Photograph Huw Greenhough

In April 2015 I was invited to exhibit with the XS Collective at the Mildura Arts Centre. Artists were asked to exhibit work that dealt with issues of excess, I installed a variation of The Maker and The User.
Shortly before the exhibition opened Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were executed in Indonesia.
I  responded to this cruel, inhumane, and degrading form of 'justice' by making a handkerchief depicting an embroidered portrait of the two men. I worked in the gallery throughout the exhibition, talking to people from the gallery floor where I sat sewing. In my absence the unfinished work was hung on the wall.

Detail of Humanity Lost 2015

Humanity Lost 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment