Softly Softly (the maker and the user)




Softly, softly (the maker and the user)
Hand made bobbin lace, synthetic velvet,
machined lace, stuffing
Exhibited at the Cardross show, 2011
 
 In an attempt to gain recognition of my hard work as an artist I stitched one of my lace pieces onto velveteen and entered it into the "prettiest cushion" section at the Cardross show. It didn't win. 
Through the inclusion of this work in a local country fair I was exploring where my practice might sit as a regional artist who employs craft techniques. There are limited exhibition opportunities in regional Victoria and artists need to work outside of the gallery context, with this in mind it is important to question is how much the integrity of the artwork comes down to the way it is packaged and the context in which it is exhibited.

see The makers (well packaged)  for the next instalment of this work.